This weekend we traveled to Tyler with our two little superheroes. This is normally a 5 and half hour trip. We managed to turn it into a 9 and half hour trip. I made this trip several times a year as a child. I have no idea how we always made it in 6 hours with 3 kids. We had our very active 2 year old and our sweet 6 week old. Here's how we survived without technology!
1. Toys- Jman always has a toy basket in the car. Well I refreshed the toys and added some new books, especially the sound kind. As we left I told him to pick a toy to take with us. He chose a baseball hat. Of course we had Bear with us too and he swiped my pillow!
2. More Toys- I took his trinket box which is a lunch box full of stuff! It is stuffed with his cars, action figures and little dinosaurs. This box keeps him busy for hours at home sometimes. It was dumped several times of course.
3. And more toys! Pack a surprise bag and leave up front. This bag was for "we need new entertainment now". It was filled with crayons, coloring book, wonder markers, mold able foam stuff (yep that's the technical term ha!), his "phone" aka calculator, discovery bottle, pool noodle lacing (his favorite busy bag activity), I Spy bag and stickers. When he seemed to need something different I handed him a new activity. He didn't know they existed and never knew it would end.
4. Snack Bag - this was also stashed up front so he didn't know what we had. It also made easy access when the driver, aka my husband wanted to eat the boy's snacks. Continuous snacking seems to keep one happy on a trip ( same goes for driver)
5. Stay hydrated- water, milk, juice, Sonic drinks. Whatever your pleasure. This also causes naps apparently.
6. Make frequent stops- Buccees is a must. And time it just right so that 20 minutes after you leave the little guy needs milk, requiring a stop at Chickfila playground.
Stop at Walmart and explore. Stock up on new snacks for the driver, buy something you forgot at home, buy a new hotwheels car for J. Have a dance party in the aisle.(dance parties in car are also a must,especially while jamming to Pitch Perfect soundtrack) Drag suitcases around the store.
Make a pit stop at friends house. Very thankful for the wonderful Lilies and letting us come visit. Jman could play with sweet Emalyn. We miss this wonderful family and so glad they are so happy in their new home.
8. Puppet Shows- Peggy Peguin made an appearance and entertained us for a few minutes.
9. Excitement- prepare exciting adventures such as trapping a wasp in the car and not realzing until you are in the middle of nowhere and having to pull over, try to kill wasp while toddler is expected to wait patiently by car door. Yeah, exciting.
10. And when all else fails let the toddler drive!
I actually am super proud of Jman and how well he lhandled the long trip. He is one awesome kid!
Ways to keep newborn happy- feed, sleep, poop, repeat!