Pages

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A Walk Down Memory Lane



My parents grew up near Tyler and my brothers were also born there. It was before me that they moved to San Antonio. All our extended family has been in a small town called Arp. This meant many, many car trips to visit when we were young. Being from a big city this was always exciting because it meant going to the country. My dad grew up on a farm and there are acres and acres of land to roam. We would spend our days outside running and exploring. So much fun. When you drive you see land for miles and cows. Gods work untouched by tall massive buildings or stores on every corner. The same stores on every corner. It's nice and refreshing  every once in awhile. You have to drive miles to go to a gas station or grab a bite to eat. It's a different way of life. Now growing up in a city all my life, I don't think I could live there, but certainly nice to visit and take a break. 


While we were there this last weekend I took pictures of areas to keep. My visits up there become longer apart. But it's something I don't want to forget. So heres a glimpse of that life and the memories it holds. 


These roads hold many memories such as the time it was iced and my dad made us wait at the top while he drove down just in case he went off the road. It was very cold!
The church my parents were married in. 
My granny's mail box I went many times with her to. I love that after all these years my grandpas name still stands on it. 
My granny's house that my dad grew up in. It sits on acres of land, across from the woods. Carpenter hill I like to call it. 
The hill from my aunts up to my granny's. this seemed much longer when I was small. Ran that hill thousands of times. 

Jman was able to see real cows and thought it was great. Here he is exploring my granny's land. 
He's probably thinking I thought I had a big yard. 

Here's the small town of Arp where my grandparents live. They live in a town of about 900 people where there is a gas station and a donut shop. 
This weekend served a few purposes. Introduce Reed to my family, 

My wonderful Granny! She is a beautiful soul and has a huge family. She is a great, great grandma and I think that is so fascinating! 
My beautiful Mamma who is so funny and playful with my little ones. 
My sweet sweet Pappaw who is one of the kindest, patient men I have ever known. 

This is my other sweet Pappaw who passed away 25 years ago. I only knew him a short time and wish I knew him longer.  He was quite the tickler, loved to play WaHoo, wore red socks every Saturday (which is why Jman does too). He lived quite the life and I hear he was an amazing man. Thanks to my dad for finding these pictures this weekend. 
His last birthday, my last memory of him. 
In the Army with his horse in the Calvary. 



 This weekend my grandparents packed up their house and left their small town o move to San Antonio with my parents. A big, scary, new adventure for all. I am so excited about this because I never got to spend much time with them or really get to know them. They now get to see their great grand babies grow up, all 7 of them. Such a precious gift of time we have been given. 

This weekend also was a sad time as we said goodbye to my Uncle Larry. My dad held a memorial for his older brother. Uncle Larry holds good times in my heart. We always had so much fun when him and my dad were together. They have such great great stories! 
This is my dad on the left and my uncle Larry on the right. 

I was able to see so many cousins this weekend: Lisa, Erin, Avery, Camdyn, Blake, David, Leah, Trevor, Jessica, Julie, Seth. I'm sure there are more that I didn't even know were cousins. Also some of those are second and third cousins!

Such a great weekend all around and something to cherish. Family is so important and it holds so much history. As I get older I realize this and hope to learn more before its too late. 

Love my family Carpenter and Swinney!



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment